Skip to main content

Review of A Monster Calls

Today I'll be mixing things up and reviewing a movie. And not just a movie, but a movie I watched before reading the book. It happens. A Monster Calls was released in theaters Christmas 2016, and while critics loved it and raved about it, audiences paid little attention. At the box office, it barely broke even. I knew about it only because I regularly read Roger Ebert reviews, and after seeing that author Patrick Ness wrote the screenplay and Spanish filmmaker J.A. Bayona (of The Impossible) directed it, I knew it held promise. But I didn't know the story. I didn't pay much attention.
Then, a few months later, I shelved this movie at the library the second it came in on DVD. But the cover stopped me.
Everything about it drew me in. The colors somehow soft and vibrant at the same time. The sleeping little boy. The hand of the tree. Why was the boy asleep under this tree? What was the monster, and why did it call? I was struck so deeply, I knew I would not be able to die happy until I had watched this movie. So it came home with me. Immediately. And here I am five or six months later, still thinking about it. 

This entire movie consists of four human characters: a young boy named Conor, his cancer-stricken mother, his fussy and grumpy grandmother, and his kind but absent father. (The fifth character is the giant, talking, metaphorical tree, or monster, of Conor's imagination.) We are in Conor's mind the entire time as he deals with anger, loss, and loneliness. He was played by 12-year-old Lewis MacDougall in only the second role of his life, and he was perfect. Something about him was so watchable. He was in every single scene, often alone, and after a few moments, I wanted to spend two hours with this boy. That is a quality of an actor that is so important, but so often overlooked. This boy was twelve and he nailed it. J.A. Bayona knows how to cast kids. All four of the actors did fine, understated jobs, carrying the heavy emotions without dropping them and letting the film become melodrama. The entire movie is a work of art, as beautiful and creative as Conor's artistic mind. Every new shot is a miniature masterpiece. It is also not a movie concerned with staying securely within one genre. It is a fantasy film, but it is not an action film. It takes its time, content to let Lewis MacDougall's eyes convey far more feeling than any chaotic, action-packed script ever could, and the result is as visually appealing as it is brutally emotional. 

I wanted to stay in this film, to linger in its watercolors, its foggy European skies, its wise trees and peaceful graveyards, its gentleness and calmness. It feels like a fairy tale, but it does not promise us that everything will end happily ever after. Instead, it tells us through Conor's father that "most of us get messily after...and that's all right." And maybe it can even be beautiful.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Interview: Author M.H. Elrich

Welcome to Friday Interviews! This is a new series I'm excited to kick off. Our very first interviewee is M.H. Elrich, whose Christian fantasy novel, Etania's Worth, I read last month.  Author Interview: M.H. Elrich Thank you Ms. Elrich for coming on the blog and providing great answers to my questions!  When you started writing Etania's Worth, did you have intentions of publishing it? Yes. From the very beginning, I wanted to publish it, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to publish it (Self or Traditional). I chose Self after seeing the success of other great Christian fantasy authors and after prayer. I also wanted more control over my work and its promotion. What has been the most surprising response from readers? I think what surprised me most was who is the favorite character of the book. Not many people chose Etania, which surprised me because she is the main character. I have had quite a few people like Jakin, who I felt wasn't my stro

Book Review: Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich

Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich  I don’t read Biblical fantasy or really any Biblical-based books, so this was new for me. M.H. Elrich and I did a book review trade and I always welcome the opportunity to read something new.  For starters, there are many characters, races, and places in this book. It got hard for me to keep up with. Then I got to the end of the ebook and realized there was a glossary all along. If I had read the book in print, I would have seen it earlier and wouldn’t have had a problem. So I recommend reading this book in print. The glossary is well-organized and helpful, and I wish I could have utilized it.  Many of the descriptions are well-done as is the climax. The climax is the strongest point of the book as you really feel all the events of the story connecting and reaching a peak. Etania does not drive the story as much as other characters do, but she still has some likable traits. I liked Keyel but my favorite character was Tala. I found her

Review of The Christmas Train

Last night I finally realized why I dislike Hallmark movies. It's because I've seen commercials with more artistic merit than a two-hour Hallmark film. No seriously, I have. Watch this one. Really, watch it. This is a commercial.  Or this one. This will do something to your stone-cold heart.  Or for that matter, the commercials they show during each Olympics. They tell a whole story in such a short amount of time.  But nevertheless, I am nothing if not open-minded. There is a handful of Hallmark movies I have genuinely enjoyed. So last night, I sat down to watch The Christmas Train, wondering if this would be added to the prestigious handful.  We start off with a generic white male, our main character. A moment later we see a generic white female. The two are not together yet, but it is already obvious to the viewers (in this case, me) that they will be married before the credits roll. This ain't my first Hallmark rodeo. Anyway, Main Guy is a journ