Skip to main content

Review of Wonder (book)

In light of the upcoming movie, today I’m presenting my thoughts on the novel Wonder. I’ve read it twice, but it’s been awhile, so these are my thoughts very long after reading. The author of this book is a graphic designer from Manhattan with two sons. She had never written a book in her life, but her sons had an encounter with a little girl with major physical problems and she couldn’t get it out of her head. She wondered what it would be like to be that little girl and never be viewed as “normal,” even when you feel normal. And Wonder was born. Instead of me telling you why this is truly one of the few real “books for all ages,” or telling you why every kid should read Wonder, or telling you about any of the other claims I have centered around this book, I’m going to follow the first rule of writing and show you.

We start with this 10-year-old boy named August, or Auggie, explaining to us why he’s a perfectly normal kid. He likes to eat ice cream, he likes to play outside, etc. He then describes his family members, but he won’t tell us what he looks like, because, as he says, whatever we’re thinking, it’s probably worse. Over time we realized he has serious facial deformities. In the movie, Auggie is portrayed as having Treacher Collin’s syndrome. In the book, it’s obviously something much worse. He’s had 27 surgeries, has to wear a hearing aid, and at birth couldn’t even swallow or breathe on his own. A name is given for what’s wrong with him, but it was some enormous word I don’t even remember. That’s another thing I love about this book. It’s not afraid to be intelligent and talk about things kids have never heard of. Anyway, Auggie is a solid, well-defined character. He’s obsessed with Star Wars and the song “Space Oddity,” loves dogs, has a funny sense of humor, and wears a space helmet in public because he’s so self-conscious about his face. He lives in Manhattan, is homeschooled, and lives a relatively happy life, all things considered, playing with his big sister, Olivia, and his best friend, Christopher. But then Christopher moves away. And right as Auggie is beginning fifth grade, his parents drop on him the news that he’s going to start attending private school. I fully supported this decision, just as a side note. The world is not going to be easy for Auggie. He needs to start getting used to it. He can’t stay home and wear a space helmet all for the rest of his life.

So, the first half of the book is about Auggie thrown into a pit of lions and learning how to survive. You know how kids will find the slightest thing to pick on, and with Auggie they have a heyday and tear him to pieces. He makes one friend named Summer, a girl who insists on sitting with him even though all the other obnoxious girls tell her not to and then laugh at her. Then he makes another friend, Jack. By the way the kid who plays Jack in the movie is adorable and I love him.

Also, as a side note, in real life the kid is British but from watching the movie trailer I would have never known. I’ve never seen a young kid fake an accent in a movie.

Anyway, back on topic—Auggie adapts to school, the kids adapt to Auggie, and then we start slipping in and out of different points of view. We get the POV of every major character, so we have a variety of ages and viewpoints, really making it a book for a vast age-range. First there’s Auggie’s sister, Olivia, who Auggie calls Via. Via loves theater and science and wants to be a geneticist. Look at that! A well-rounded, yet still relatable teenage girl with hobbies and interests! IT’S NOT THAT HARD! (Cough cough Christy Miller.) At first, we think Via has it all together. She’s super smart and responsible and acts older than her age, and even though she has typical high school friend drama, she doesn’t wallow in it. But as her story continues, we realize that Auggie’s medical problems have taken a major toll on her through the years. She’s often felt stressed and overlooked, and she was hugely impacted by the death of her grandmother, the one person who always had time for her. Then there’s Via’s boyfriend, Justin. He has shaggy hair and plays the cello (or violin or something, I don’t remember)  and is shy and socially awkward. A++++++ to infinity. It’s such a refreshing change. We learn through his point of view that he was somewhat neglected growing up, so he really likes Auggie’s warm, close-knit family and just wants to be accepted. Then we learn that Miranda, the friend Via is having problems with, has grown distant because her parents are getting divorced. And that Jack has had a tough year at school because the other kids pick on him for being friends with Auggie. And that Summer’s dad died in Afghanistan. Even Julian, the obnoxious little twerp who bullies Auggie, deals with a lot of fears, and we can kind of sort of almost forgive him. Almost. Not really.

And as we read this long, continuous narrative about ordinary people living ordinary lives, we suddenly uncover the whole point of the book: Everyone has problems. Some problems are visible, like Auggie’s. Other problems are hidden. So always be kinder than necessary.

Now, let’s look at some highlights or what I expect from the movie. First of all, Auggie’s family. I love his family so much. One of the best in literature. (The Weasley family will always be my number one, but that’s not even related to this discussion, so moving on.) They’re caring, affectionate, and supportive, but COMPLETELY realistic. They have big arguments. They have bad days. Auggie and Via get into squabbles like siblings, but they also have a real relationship and confide in each other despite the big age difference. I’m very protective of Auggie’s family, and I’m not entirely sure what the movie is doing to them. For starters, Auggie’s dad is Jewish and his mom is Brazilian. We know this because genetics are important to Via, and she talks about it. The movie cast Julia Roberts as the mom. Certainly not Brazilian, but she has dark hair, so okay. Then we have Auggie’s dad, played by Owen Wilson. What the heck. I’m not even sure what to say. Just get out of the movie, Owen Wilson. Auggie is played by Canadian actor Jacob Tremblay, who blew up the Internet two years ago when the film adaptation of Room came out. At this point it feels redundant to even explain who he is. He was only nine when Wonder was shot but was chosen because he took the role seriously and wanted to get it right.

As I previously stated, Auggie looked much worse in the book. Here’s Jacob Tremblay in real life, and how he’ll look in the movie with the prosthetics on. Not that bad. I guess they wanted to keep it mild, even though the entire point of the book is, “Hey, Auggie looks awful but he’s just like you so don’t be scared or mean.”




Other than that, I don’t have any major complaints judging by the trailer. I’m looking forward to seeing how this very character-driven novel becomes a movie with an active plot. I may be back for a movie review after it’s released.  

Comments

  1. So, has the movie been released yet? Seems like an interesting book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The movie is on DVD and streaming services now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Interview: Author M.H. Elrich

Welcome to Friday Interviews! This is a new series I'm excited to kick off. Our very first interviewee is M.H. Elrich, whose Christian fantasy novel, Etania's Worth, I read last month.  Author Interview: M.H. Elrich Thank you Ms. Elrich for coming on the blog and providing great answers to my questions!  When you started writing Etania's Worth, did you have intentions of publishing it? Yes. From the very beginning, I wanted to publish it, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to publish it (Self or Traditional). I chose Self after seeing the success of other great Christian fantasy authors and after prayer. I also wanted more control over my work and its promotion. What has been the most surprising response from readers? I think what surprised me most was who is the favorite character of the book. Not many people chose Etania, which surprised me because she is the main character. I have had quite a few people like Jakin, who I felt wasn't my stro

Book Review: Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich

Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich  I don’t read Biblical fantasy or really any Biblical-based books, so this was new for me. M.H. Elrich and I did a book review trade and I always welcome the opportunity to read something new.  For starters, there are many characters, races, and places in this book. It got hard for me to keep up with. Then I got to the end of the ebook and realized there was a glossary all along. If I had read the book in print, I would have seen it earlier and wouldn’t have had a problem. So I recommend reading this book in print. The glossary is well-organized and helpful, and I wish I could have utilized it.  Many of the descriptions are well-done as is the climax. The climax is the strongest point of the book as you really feel all the events of the story connecting and reaching a peak. Etania does not drive the story as much as other characters do, but she still has some likable traits. I liked Keyel but my favorite character was Tala. I found her

Review of The Christmas Train

Last night I finally realized why I dislike Hallmark movies. It's because I've seen commercials with more artistic merit than a two-hour Hallmark film. No seriously, I have. Watch this one. Really, watch it. This is a commercial.  Or this one. This will do something to your stone-cold heart.  Or for that matter, the commercials they show during each Olympics. They tell a whole story in such a short amount of time.  But nevertheless, I am nothing if not open-minded. There is a handful of Hallmark movies I have genuinely enjoyed. So last night, I sat down to watch The Christmas Train, wondering if this would be added to the prestigious handful.  We start off with a generic white male, our main character. A moment later we see a generic white female. The two are not together yet, but it is already obvious to the viewers (in this case, me) that they will be married before the credits roll. This ain't my first Hallmark rodeo. Anyway, Main Guy is a journ