Skip to main content

March On, My Soul


All my life, I have been drawn to stories of heroes. As a child, I moved from Narnia to Hogwarts to Middle-Earth. I love Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga and T.H. White's epic retelling of King Arthur. I have so many memories of rooting through my grandparents' wardrobe and pretending to find Narnia and of creating fantasy lands with my brother, battling the evil Cold Misers of our imagination in the backyard. All these worlds I have inhabited throughout my life share one thing in common: they feature characters fighting through the scariest of nights, holding on to the hope of some good left in the world.

Now that I am (somewhat) grown and aspire to write for children one day, I find myself wondering what it is that compels us so strongly to these sorts of narratives, even at such a young age. I could spend a long time writing about how we all love a good hero, but it's more than that. Beyond the adventure, beyond the pure delight of exploring a new world, there is something buried within those heroic characters and their rallying cries that connects with our own souls. There must be a reason why Andrew Peterson's melodic prose feels so relevant as his tale concludes, "and the story, my child, is true."

The Bible is the ultimate source for ancient accounts of heroes, villains, and battles. The earliest documented war takes place in Genesis 14 between opposing nations around Sodom and Gomorrah. Since practically the beginning of time, God has called ordinary people to step up with sword and shield and to fight in his name against the oppression of evil--to become heroes. One such account is found early in the book of Judges. At this time, a female prophet named Deborah was judge over Israel. For the past twenty years the Israelites had been harshly oppressed by Sisera, commander of the Canaanites, and when God intervened, he did so with a cry to the Israelites to take up arms and fight for their God-ordained freedom. Answering this call, Deborah became not only a judge and prophet, but quite possibly the only woman to physically lead an army of ten thousand Israelite warriors into battle. Judges 5 is Deborah's personal account of this feat. I can imagine her staring steadfastly into the waiting army of Canaan, the ground behind her quaking with the thunder of ten thousand warlords, the red desert sun hammering down on the death and carnage to come. Even as the world was darkened by battle, Deborah set her sights on God's promise of victory . As swords clashed, as arrows whistled, as the hooves of the enemy's horses rocked the chaotic ground, the call of Deborah's heart was, "March on, my soul, with courage." (Judges 5:21)

As followers of God today, we may not fight a battle with swords and spears, but we are thrown into the midst of one that encompasses all areas of our life nonetheless. God calls each of us to armor up in spirit and truth and to "press on toward the goal to win the prize." (Philippians 3:14) But every day we are taunted, ridiculed, and frankly left feeling alone, the battle starts to feel like a lost cause. The darkness drowns out the stars. How are we winning when storms roar and bombs fall and children are gunned down in their classrooms? How can we fight for any prize when the enemy has his hands all over us, even inside our own minds? Day after day, the world mocks us, pain rips us, and our brothers and sisters in other nations literally die for our cause. With every defeat, our hearts feel less like a call to courage and more like an "Any time you want to return and end this all, that would be great," sort of thing.

But still we fight. We fight because we have been given a synopsis of the final chapter and we have tasted the resplendent wonder awaiting each and every soldier who stands firm till morning breaks. "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5) Through this light, we are pressed, but we are not crushed. We are struck, but we are not destroyed. We are perplexed by this unspeakable evil, but we do not despair over it. We are grieving, but we are not without hope. This is why we keep reading to see the Death Eaters demolished and the One Ring melted into ash. This is why these stories nestle into our souls and stay there. Within the pages, we find our own beating hearts, for we are the chief characters in the greatest story ever told. We are heroes all, fighting for that glorious dawn. One day the curtain of mortality will tear and we will step beyond death's crushing heel into that great and beautiful reward, at last proclaiming the words of C.S. Lewis, "The dream is ended: this is the morning." (The Last Battle, 228) March on, my soul, with courage.





Comments

  1. Great post Melissa! I love the focus on clinging to hope and to Christ no matter what battles in life we are facing! May we keep looking for wardrobes and lamp posts! Good job! (Holly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find! This post gave me goosebumps! Inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Interview: Author M.H. Elrich

Welcome to Friday Interviews! This is a new series I'm excited to kick off. Our very first interviewee is M.H. Elrich, whose Christian fantasy novel, Etania's Worth, I read last month.  Author Interview: M.H. Elrich Thank you Ms. Elrich for coming on the blog and providing great answers to my questions!  When you started writing Etania's Worth, did you have intentions of publishing it? Yes. From the very beginning, I wanted to publish it, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to publish it (Self or Traditional). I chose Self after seeing the success of other great Christian fantasy authors and after prayer. I also wanted more control over my work and its promotion. What has been the most surprising response from readers? I think what surprised me most was who is the favorite character of the book. Not many people chose Etania, which surprised me because she is the main character. I have had quite a few people like Jakin, who I felt wasn't my stro

Book Review: Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich

Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich  I don’t read Biblical fantasy or really any Biblical-based books, so this was new for me. M.H. Elrich and I did a book review trade and I always welcome the opportunity to read something new.  For starters, there are many characters, races, and places in this book. It got hard for me to keep up with. Then I got to the end of the ebook and realized there was a glossary all along. If I had read the book in print, I would have seen it earlier and wouldn’t have had a problem. So I recommend reading this book in print. The glossary is well-organized and helpful, and I wish I could have utilized it.  Many of the descriptions are well-done as is the climax. The climax is the strongest point of the book as you really feel all the events of the story connecting and reaching a peak. Etania does not drive the story as much as other characters do, but she still has some likable traits. I liked Keyel but my favorite character was Tala. I found her

Review of The Christmas Train

Last night I finally realized why I dislike Hallmark movies. It's because I've seen commercials with more artistic merit than a two-hour Hallmark film. No seriously, I have. Watch this one. Really, watch it. This is a commercial.  Or this one. This will do something to your stone-cold heart.  Or for that matter, the commercials they show during each Olympics. They tell a whole story in such a short amount of time.  But nevertheless, I am nothing if not open-minded. There is a handful of Hallmark movies I have genuinely enjoyed. So last night, I sat down to watch The Christmas Train, wondering if this would be added to the prestigious handful.  We start off with a generic white male, our main character. A moment later we see a generic white female. The two are not together yet, but it is already obvious to the viewers (in this case, me) that they will be married before the credits roll. This ain't my first Hallmark rodeo. Anyway, Main Guy is a journ