Skip to main content

Friday Interview: Artist Renee Graef

Happy Friday! Today I'm thrilled to share my conversation with award-winning artist Renée Graef, who is well known for illustrating the Little House picture books, the American Girl Kirsten books, and the Nordic alphabet series, as well as eighty other books.


Artist Interview: Renée Graef 

I am honestly so honored to be talking to you. Let's start at the beginning. How old were you when you first started drawing, or did you simply begin as a child and never stop?

Like most artists, I began drawing from a very early age. I recently found a teacher's note on my 2nd grade report card that said that my "artistic endeavors" were getting in the way of my academics. I thought that was too funny!


When you received your degree in art at the University of Wisconsin, did you know you wanted to be a children's illustrator? 

I wanted to be an illustrator although my degree was in fine art. I was fortunate to receive a work-study job as an in-house illustrator for the University of Wisconsin-Madison. When I graduated, it became a full-time job for four years. In addition, I free-lanced on the side for ad agencies. I became interested in children's book illustration when I saw a friend's amazing collection of children's books. I specifically remember loving Chris Van Allsburg's first book, "The Garden of Abdul Gasazi" and the Edward Gorey books. I started working on the Kirsten books shortly after finishing the job at the University in 1984. We had no idea back then that American Girl would be so successful.


A lot of your work involves the American midwest of pioneer times, and you capture it beyond beautifully. Have you spent a lot of time in that area of the country? 

I have lived almost my whole life in Wisconsin. I just love driving by the open fields of the farm land. I feel like that really feeds my soul. I now split my time between Los Angeles and Milwaukee.

What did you enjoy drawing or illustrating the most in your career?

 I would say I enjoy drawing almost everything, although I am partial to historical work, animals, the Nordic culture, folklore, national parks, travel, landscapes, lighthouses and anything to do with water. Like I said, almost everything! Currently, I am loving my work on a series of books featuring "Lulu and Rocky", two little fox cousins. It is fun to draw the different animal characters. Eventually, I would like to work on a book that has more of a Scandinavian look. Carl Larsson has been one of my favorite artists and was an inspiration for the Kirsten books.

The Little House picture books and the American Girl Kirsten books were literally my childhood. When I look at the illustrations today, I remember how safe and content I felt at that time in my life. It warms me up inside to look at your pictures. 

I feel so fortunate to have illustrated the two well-known pioneer girls in children's literature. It was not planned, it just happened that way. Magical things happen if you keep working on a goal.I like the Louis Pasteur quote, "Chance favors the prepared mind". I love that you felt safe and content in my illustrations. I think it is important to have pictures around us that make us feel safe and secure or pictures that have a sense of adventure in an inspiring way.

Do you ever meet people like me, who grew up with your work? What has been one memorable encounter? 

I hear from many of the readers of my books now, some of them are mothers now who have their own children of their own. It is great to see that some of them are writers or artists now. With Facebook and Instagram, it is much easier to connect with people. Social media is such a wonderful venue for showing some of the work that I have done. The work that I have posted is only a small fraction of the work in my flat files. There have been so many memorable encounters with people who grew up with my books, it is hard to pick out just one!

I hope you all enjoyed reading this interview as much as I enjoyed giving it! Thank you, Renée Graef. 




To learn more about Renée Graef and to see more of her work, visit her website or connect with her on Instagram. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The Christmas Train

Last night I finally realized why I dislike Hallmark movies. It's because I've seen commercials with more artistic merit than a two-hour Hallmark film. No seriously, I have. Watch this one. Really, watch it. This is a commercial.  Or this one. This will do something to your stone-cold heart.  Or for that matter, the commercials they show during each Olympics. They tell a whole story in such a short amount of time.  But nevertheless, I am nothing if not open-minded. There is a handful of Hallmark movies I have genuinely enjoyed. So last night, I sat down to watch The Christmas Train, wondering if this would be added to the prestigious handful.  We start off with a generic white male, our main character. A moment later we see a generic white female. The two are not together yet, but it is already obvious to the viewers (in this case, me) that they will be married before the credits roll. This ain't my first Hallmark rodeo. Anyway, Main Guy is a journ

Book Review: Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich

Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich  I don’t read Biblical fantasy or really any Biblical-based books, so this was new for me. M.H. Elrich and I did a book review trade and I always welcome the opportunity to read something new.  For starters, there are many characters, races, and places in this book. It got hard for me to keep up with. Then I got to the end of the ebook and realized there was a glossary all along. If I had read the book in print, I would have seen it earlier and wouldn’t have had a problem. So I recommend reading this book in print. The glossary is well-organized and helpful, and I wish I could have utilized it.  Many of the descriptions are well-done as is the climax. The climax is the strongest point of the book as you really feel all the events of the story connecting and reaching a peak. Etania does not drive the story as much as other characters do, but she still has some likable traits. I liked Keyel but my favorite character was Tala. I found her

Friday Interview: Author M.H. Elrich

Welcome to Friday Interviews! This is a new series I'm excited to kick off. Our very first interviewee is M.H. Elrich, whose Christian fantasy novel, Etania's Worth, I read last month.  Author Interview: M.H. Elrich Thank you Ms. Elrich for coming on the blog and providing great answers to my questions!  When you started writing Etania's Worth, did you have intentions of publishing it? Yes. From the very beginning, I wanted to publish it, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to publish it (Self or Traditional). I chose Self after seeing the success of other great Christian fantasy authors and after prayer. I also wanted more control over my work and its promotion. What has been the most surprising response from readers? I think what surprised me most was who is the favorite character of the book. Not many people chose Etania, which surprised me because she is the main character. I have had quite a few people like Jakin, who I felt wasn't my stro