Skip to main content

Friday Interview: Author Brittney Joy

Happy Friday! Today I'm happy to share this space with Brittney Joy, who is not only an accomplished author but, if I do say so myself, an online friend of mine. During our conversation, I got to hear a preview of her next book as well as the funny way some of her characters got their names.

Author Interview: Brittney Joy 

Hi! Thanks for joining us today. Can you start by telling us when you wrote your first story? Was it published or not? 

In middle school I read a lot (mostly about horses) and I started journaling in high school—writing down all my thoughts, feelings, and experiences. The regular act of journaling taught me how to express myself and, ultimately, gave me the bug to write fiction. However, I didn’t start writing fiction until my late twenties and I was in my early thirties when I self-published my first young adult book, Lucy’s Chance. It took me some time to build up my confidence before I felt comfortable setting my story and words “free” into the world. But now, I couldn’t imagine not writing.

What were your favorite books as a kid and how did they influence what you write today? 

In middle school I devoured The Thoroughbred Series by Joanna Campbell which is a wonderful, sweet series set on a horse farm. I loved to get lost in Ashleigh’s the protagonist) adventures on the farm and with the horses. My joy in reading The Thoroughbred Series ultimately inspired my first young adult series, Red Rock Ranch. When I started seriously writing, I knew I wanted to write a book for horse- crazy girls that would explore the human-horse relationship as well as all the ups and downs of being a teenager and growing into your own skin. My Red Rock Ranch Series grew into three books that are full of equestrian adventures, friendship, and first loves. The characters in these books are very close to my heart… especially Lucy as she is the closest to my own personality. Lucy is timid, but stubborn and she has an immense love for all animals, especially horses. I have loved seeing Lucy grow throughout the series.

Can you tell us about the books you've written? 

Besides my Red Rock Ranch Series, I also have a young adult fantasy series called The OverRuled Series. There are currently two books in this series (OverRuled and OverRun) and they are full of magic, secrets, twists, adventure, and romance. This series is written in dual perspective and the chapters rotate between two female protagonists that are very different from one another. Jade is a princess who lives under the thumb of her (very evil) mother. Nova is a commoner who is being hunted by the queen (Jade’s mother) for magical powers she doesn’t know she has… yet. In the first book, Jade and Nova don’t know each other, but their lives become quickly intertwined. And, there’s a hunky queen’s guard (Chael) that holds secrets of his own and plays a part in both Jade and Nova’s stories. I had a blast writing these books and exploring this world and the magic. And, I’m not ready to let go of this world just yet… working on the third book.

After the adventures of Jade and Nova in the Overruled books, do you think fans will ever see more of them? 

Yes! I am working on a third book for The OverRuled Series. I just couldn’t let Nova and Jade go… so their adventures must continue! The third book will wrap up Nova and Jade’s stories, but I have also tossed around the idea of writing a prequel so I can tell Katrina’s story (the evil queen) and how she came to be so evil.

Do you have any new story ideas? 

I have lots of “half-baked” story ideas. I keep a notebook just for this purpose and write down my ideas as inspiration hits me. However, I think the strongest idea revolves around a sweet adult romance set on a horse farm. I definitely want to explore that one next.

Last question: You have a lot of animals. Ultimately what is your favorite--dogs, cats, or horses? 

Oh my goodness… I’m not sure I can answer that. I love all animals, but I have the strongest connection to dogs and horses. I absolutely couldn’t live without dogs and horses in my life. I have a little dog, Lucy, that is my shadow. My husband and I adopted her when she was about a year old (she’s nine now) and I think she’s a Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross. She is the sweetest, funniest, most lovable pup ever and if you want to see pictures of her, follow me on Instagram or Facebook because I’m ALWAYS sharing pictures of her cute face. And, yes, I did name the main character (Lucy) in my Red Rock Ranch Series after my pup. I also have two horses—Cheli and Stella. I’m lucky enough to have some property and am able to keep my horses in my backyard. They are my daily therapy and my loves. I can’t picture my life without being able to ride, groom, feed, and love on them every day. I also have a cat who loves me on her own terms. Her name is Katrina… and, yes, I did name the evil queen in The OverRuled Series after her. I love her despite her grumpy attitude.



Find all of Brittney Joy's books in one place at her Amazon shop

Connect with her on Instagram! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Interview: Author M.H. Elrich

Welcome to Friday Interviews! This is a new series I'm excited to kick off. Our very first interviewee is M.H. Elrich, whose Christian fantasy novel, Etania's Worth, I read last month.  Author Interview: M.H. Elrich Thank you Ms. Elrich for coming on the blog and providing great answers to my questions!  When you started writing Etania's Worth, did you have intentions of publishing it? Yes. From the very beginning, I wanted to publish it, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to publish it (Self or Traditional). I chose Self after seeing the success of other great Christian fantasy authors and after prayer. I also wanted more control over my work and its promotion. What has been the most surprising response from readers? I think what surprised me most was who is the favorite character of the book. Not many people chose Etania, which surprised me because she is the main character. I have had quite a few people like Jakin, who I felt wasn't my stro

Book Review: Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich

Etania's Worth by M.H. Elrich  I don’t read Biblical fantasy or really any Biblical-based books, so this was new for me. M.H. Elrich and I did a book review trade and I always welcome the opportunity to read something new.  For starters, there are many characters, races, and places in this book. It got hard for me to keep up with. Then I got to the end of the ebook and realized there was a glossary all along. If I had read the book in print, I would have seen it earlier and wouldn’t have had a problem. So I recommend reading this book in print. The glossary is well-organized and helpful, and I wish I could have utilized it.  Many of the descriptions are well-done as is the climax. The climax is the strongest point of the book as you really feel all the events of the story connecting and reaching a peak. Etania does not drive the story as much as other characters do, but she still has some likable traits. I liked Keyel but my favorite character was Tala. I found her

Review of The Christmas Train

Last night I finally realized why I dislike Hallmark movies. It's because I've seen commercials with more artistic merit than a two-hour Hallmark film. No seriously, I have. Watch this one. Really, watch it. This is a commercial.  Or this one. This will do something to your stone-cold heart.  Or for that matter, the commercials they show during each Olympics. They tell a whole story in such a short amount of time.  But nevertheless, I am nothing if not open-minded. There is a handful of Hallmark movies I have genuinely enjoyed. So last night, I sat down to watch The Christmas Train, wondering if this would be added to the prestigious handful.  We start off with a generic white male, our main character. A moment later we see a generic white female. The two are not together yet, but it is already obvious to the viewers (in this case, me) that they will be married before the credits roll. This ain't my first Hallmark rodeo. Anyway, Main Guy is a journ